Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Easy weeknight dinner



The other night I wasn't in the mood for serious cooking.  After reviewing the contents of the fridge, and deciding what needed "to go" soon, I decided on a classic- burritos.  I love making burritos because the cooking and prep time are both fairly minimal, it's always soul satisfying, and I always take seconds!

I'm sure you've made burritos before, but do you have a standard recipe, or do you just throw whatever you have available in the pan?   Using some older veggies, 1/2 pack of meat, and a left-over egg white from an earlier batch of brownies, I managed to cook up some delicious burritos.   Of course I jazzed it up a bit with some cilantro spinach flavored wraps (from Trader Joe's- the habanero lime ones are awesome too), and habanero-lime salsa.  Sour cream added nice richness to the egg white and chorizo mixture.  Adding chorizo to my burritos is a new treat after finding a great local producer that sells both ground and sausage link chorizo  (Triple S Farms). 

My ingredients:
1/2 lb. chorizo
1 egg white
1 poblano pepper - chopped
1/2 onion- chopped
3 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce - diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 can black beans
sour cream
salsa
lettuce- chopped
Wisconsin cheddar- grated

Pop the wraps in the oven on low temp for just a few minutes so they are nice and warm, and the cheese will melt right away.  Saute the onion, garlic and peppers.  Set aside.  Saute the egg and chorizo - add back in the veggies, chipotle peppers and beans- cook for a few minutes.  Fill your wrap with cheese and sour cream, add the protein/veg mix, top with some lettuce and salsa.  Voila- Bon App!

PS- Please feel free to leave your comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc.

No comments: