Wednesday, February 2, 2011

To Start....

Hi – Where to start – okay- I’m currently living in Urbana, IL.  Just transplanted here after almost 3 years in the DC region and it’s quite a change.  Nothing too drastic though, since I grew up in the Midwest(NW IN). I spent my college years and a few thereafter in Ohio, then moving on to Athens, GA which offered me a clear vision of the south and a totally new perspective on southern food.  I also met my partner, Dietrich, while living the southern life, as well as attending Le Cordon Bleu in Atlanta. 
After a few years we moved to Switzerland (french part) which really opened up my palate, and gave me a better standpoint on seasonal eating (we lived in a farming village)! Of course there are lots of stories here but I’ll get into that later I hope.  After too many months of struggling to get a work permit, I moved back to the US and landed a job in Maryland. I really enjoyed the booming culinary scene in DC, as well as all the foodie events in the area.  There are a tremendous amount of great meat purveyors and wineries in Virginia – some that I was lucky enough to sample- others I sadly missed the take.
Now Dietrich, I and the peanut gallery (Madi and Allie) are newbies to the Chambana (Champaign-Urbana) region in the prairie lands of Illinois. I have just started working part-time as a personal cook. Now that I have some spare time I’ve decided to take the plunge into the Food Blog world. 
My intentions for this space are to discuss fresh, fair, seasonal, sustainable and all around good food and drink.  Hopefully I can stay true and on tract with this; we shall see.  I know, I know, everyone is talking about healthy eating and organics and the likes there of.  But I know there are some really fantastic artisans of all crafts out here (and there- where you are too!), and some great food and drink can be made of such.

No comments: